Sunday, October 4, 2026

MadMac 42

 What an awesome race!!

I have been struggling to walk a qualifier ever since Genius Rowan made the 4:50 joggers rule.. With a 4:56 pb i just never believed I could walk sub 4:50, so ended up running the downs on races just to qualify.  I DO NOT LIKE RUNNING, it causes injuries and undue stress on my body. 2 years ago I did this 42 with Bronwyn more as a test than an expected qualifier. We ended on 5:09 but it was a really enjoyable event. After my attempt at Vaal River City failed, I thought of this race, and entered on a whim, knowing that it would at least bring more fitness.

Our dog sitter Tibone had only ever done 1x 21 ( Midrand Striders 2025) and with Liz in Oz and having qualified I entered Tibone ( who had mentioned he would love to do a marthon) and myself. I knew about the tough second half but in my mind I thought 3 minutes off the first half and 6 off the second and I should qualify

I had intended to do some extra quality training but... Races are all in the mind, not so. 

We got to the just before 5am and I was guiding Tibone a bit, I warned him about the second half... The cannon set us off at rather brisk pace. I always start road races by leaving my arms down for up to 3km's or until a downhill presents itself... So I lifted my arms at around 2km. I really do like out and backs so one can see the field ahead. I think I was at about 8km when Tibone came back past at about his 11th km, I guessed he was going a bit fast but let him enjoy it. 

Having had issues with an elevated HR compared to what I thought it should be, I was advised to try  my watch on the inside of my wrist. In training I found that my regular kms were little long so I now use it on races. Most km markers would buzz when I was up to 100m passed the marker. One of my real pet Hates is when the 42km board is 500m from the finish, I know 10m is added to every km to  avoid short races but add them to very km not all at the end. I never used lap correct on my Racescreen  my fastest predicted finish was 4:44:55 at 7km and at halfway it was 4:47 which is pretty fast for me.. I however had enough of a buffer to do a 2:33 second half which I thought I could do. When I finished race predictor said 4:56 but Finishtime gave me  a 4:59:09. I am ecstatic to have achieved my qualifier. I guess I pushed pretty hard in the first 7km where my HR was high 160's,  whereas after that I pretty much averaged just below 160, but pretty consistent without falling off. This proved my even effort "theory"


Tibone ended on 4:50 which is pretty good for a 60 year old Novice, he had many comments about the r
ace organises idea of a route and THOSE HILLS!. 


Now to continue my strength training and a possible PB attempt at Kaapsehoop marathon.    


3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Dave and huge congratulations to you and Tibone🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!🍾

    ReplyDelete