Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter 100

Ok so this years Easter training was very different !!! over the years we thought we had built up a loyal following who helped make our training fun. Then some decided to move to the Cape, others decided to do Two Oceans which left Liz and I.

Not really wanting to 42- 46 km on our own we decided to revert to our 2010 attempt at the Randburg Harriers 48km  on Friday... Then Liz gets sick and as per 2010 we realise that getting cold and wet would negate any real benefits we gained by going a bit further..  so at 4am on Friday we went back to sleep and  only set off when it was  a bit warmer at about 7am.

We both felt good with Liz going really slowly and increasing her expected 16km to a reasonable 33km . I did my fastest ever Good Friday also doing 33km but had to go the other way round the block  to add on 3km to get there.. It was really a nice route and so my weekend goal of sub 7:20 became achievable, thats with carrying a small backpack .  If I am ever to do a sub 11 at Comrades it will be this year.. I pref
er the up, it's a bit shorter and therefore sub 11 a bit more achievable ..
Friday night Liz's throat gets worse.. so now what ? I had in the past had this idea of walking to woodlands Park run doing the park run and walking back, but we don't often do 30 plus km. So I negotiated with Gerhard and Carmenn to change their parkrun and at least I had somewhere to leave my backpack.  It was a bit shorted walking there only 13.2km than Waze calculated which was 14.7km. At the start I decided to rather  run a the parkrun as its very congested not really a walkers route, I did run it a  few years ago. I managed a 29:19 and Gerhard hung in for a 30:51 both about 20 secs off  PB and Carmenn managed a PB. As soon as Carmenn came in I set off on the return journey..    Its a lot of climbing going back .. I averaged 7:16 going there and 7:24 coming back which made me really happy with those hills

On the way back Liz confirmed her doctors appointment  which made my timing really tight,I took a short cut which did not work but screamed in just as she was about to leave.
So with Antibiotics on script we set off to convert Liz to Brooks shoes, Ghost 11 are now to be her Comrades shoe..

Sunday morning is Dogrun, so having convinced Liz to give it a skip I took all three dogs.. Besides the start where Kenzo got the leads wrapped around all four legs with Amber inside one loop, the only real issue was with Amber running being the two boys  when Kenzo stopped  to smell or pee Amber carried on so once again we got leads entangled. Still managed our fastest dog run of the year, 3 dog power makes a difference.

Liz and then set off to do about 20, Liz seemed fine as she slowly accumulated kms...  She took it really easy and ended just shy of two oceans for her 2 runs..  I was on 88km in 10:30 now that looked promising for Comrades..  I had hoped to gain a bit more towards  my 100 with rain expected on Monday .. but really it is what it is.

Monday was cool  and overcast but no rain so off I went and got my total to 103km..
Overall a very successful weekend for me , now to get Liz right for next weeks Midrand  60km...



I know of a few people who draw pictures or write words. Maybe I should try 

1 comment:

  1. Well done Dave I just knew you will not disappoint us with your 100km and I am so glad for you for achieving it and good luck Liz... hope you feel better and recover quickly. Good luck for this weekend as well as the last weeks before Comrades

    ReplyDelete